UNIX and Linux: Advanced Users
Course number: GCIUNIXADV40
You know how to use the command line interface in UNIX and Linux to perform basic tasks. However, at times, you may need to perform certain complex tasks which require a more detailed knowledge of the file-management and text-processing utilities. The UNIX and Linux: Advanced User course expands on some of the basic file-management and text-processing utilities and commands, and also introduces several advanced utilities and commands. The course provides a foundation for further studies in the UNIX and Linux programming or administration domains.
You will customize the work environment on your computer, work with files using advanced commands and utilities, work with the text contained in files using text-processing commands and utilities, manage files using the advanced file management techniques, and work with shell scripts containing conditional and loop control statements.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- customize the UNIX and Linux shell environment.
- work with files.
- work with text.
- manage files by using advanced techniques.
- work with shell scripts
- The user should be proficient in using the basic system functions, such as opening and saving files, managing windows, starting applications, and configuring desktop preferences of the Windows operating system.
- The user should also be familiar with personal computer (PC) concepts, such as hardware, software, processing, and data storage.
- The user should have taken UNIX and Linux: Fundamentals, or possess equivalent knowledge.
- Topic 1A: Understand the KornShell
- Topic 1B: Display the Shell Variables
- Topic 1C: Customize the KornShell Environmental Files
- Topic 1D: Create Aliases
- Topic 2A: Redirect Output
- Topic 2B: Combine Commands
- Topic 2C: Perform Advanced File Searches
- Topic 2D: Compare Files
- Topic 3A: Search for Text Patterns
- Topic 3B: Work with Lines and Fields
- Topic 3C: Format Text
- Topic 3D: Locate Patterns and Process Text
- Topic 3E: Process Text in Real Time
- Topic 4A: Determine the Disk Space Used by Files
- Topic 4B: Manage Links
- Topic 4C: Compress Files
- Topic 4D: Archive Files
- Topic 5A: Create Shell Scripts
- Topic 5B: Execute Statements Conditionally
- Topic 5C: Execute Statements Repeatedly
- Topic 5D: Use Functions