Healthcare IT Technician
Course number: CGIHIT40
This course provides IT technicians with background in HIT standards, regulations and workflows, so that they can understand the healthcare environment.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
• define and describe concepts and terminology that are fundamental to understanding the use of IT in a healthcare environment.
• describe the medical environment including its organization, stakeholders, and the most significant technologies.
• leverage core medical concepts to describe the use of IT in the medical workplace.
• describe the essential elements of computing including hardware, software, networking, and change control.
• provide IT support and solve IT problems in the medical workplace.
• integrate security best practices into daily healthcare IT workflow.
- While there are no strict prerequisites, CompTIA intends the Healthcare IT Technician certificate to serve as an add-on to the CompTIA® A+® certification.
The typical student for this course is an experienced IT professional in a role such as desktop support technician, network administrator, systems administrator, or database administrator, who is looking for opportunities within the healthcare industry or may already be working within the healthcare industry. Such students want to prove through certification that they have the knowledge and skills required to implement, deploy, and support healthcare IT systems.
Students should have experience and/or comfort with the following concepts and tasks:
- Computer and networking
- The functional components of a computer and a network (both wired and wireless).
- Installing and troubleshooting Microsoft® Windows®XP and Windows®
- Installing and troubleshooting software, hardware, and networking
- Working with computer
- Setting up, maintaining, and troubleshooting mobile
- Computer and network security best practices
COMNet Group Certification
COMNet Group Exam
COMNet Group Certificate of Completion
Topic 1A: Core Concepts in Healthcare IT
Topic 1B: EMR/EHR Issues
Topic 1C: Stakeholders, Regulations, and Standards
Topic 1D: HIPAA Controls and Compliance
Topic 2A: Healthcare Organizations
Topic 2B: Medical Terminology, Equipment, and Software
Topic 2C: Medical Coding and Billing
Topic 2D: Medical Computer Interfaces
Topic 3A: Roles and Responsibilities
Topic 3B: Manage Communication and Ethics Issues
Topic 3C: Legal Best Practices, Requirements, and Documentation
Topic 3D: Medical Document Imaging
Topic 3E: Sanitation Management
Topic 4A: Computing Essentials
Topic 4B: Networking
Topic 4C: Manage Servers and Software
Topic 4D: Hardware Support
Topic 5A: Set Up a Workstation
Topic 5B: Troubleshoot Basic IT Issues
Topic 5C: Troubleshoot Medical IT Issues
Topic 5D: Implementation of an EMR/EHR System
Topic 5E: Change Control
Topic 6A: Manage Physical and Logical Security
Topic 6B: Implement Security Best Practices and Threat Mitigation Techniques Topic
6C: Manage Remote Access
Topic 6D: Manage Wireless Security
Topic 6E: Perform Backups and Disaster Recovery